Monday 27 May 2013

Dinosaur Sensory Play (and book review)

'Dinosaur Roar' by Paul and Henrietta Stickland is a firm favourite in our house. Not only is it fun to read and has engaging pictures, but the book is also great for teaching language. It's simple patterned language is great for children who are learning to put words together. The 'opposite' vocabulary is great for older children. We like to have fun imagining what the dinosaurs sound like and practising roaring loudly, meekly, squeakily etc.
I'd definitely recommend reading a copy if you haven't already.

As readers of our blog may know we like to take themes from a book and develop them in play. When we found an out of date packet of chocolate pudding, I instantly thought of a messy play opportunity- a mud puddle for our toy dinosaurs. I added a jelly (jello) swamp and the scene was set.

The Frog was initially reluctant to touch anything apart from his familiar dinosaurs, but he quickly copied his sister who got stuck in.

We made sure we practised our roar and talking in different dinosaur voices as we played.



'Look mummy they are swimming in a chocolate lake'

This post is part of Poppins Book Nook - a group of book inspired bloggers who write about children's books.
2131667e



Please link up any dinosaur children's book reviews/ activities below - we'd love to see them.  

11 comments:

  1. Wow look at all those lovely dinosaur posts!
    I am visiting from the Parenting Pin it Party and have pinned this to my dinosaur board
    http://pinterest.com/pinkoddballs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great! I will have to try the idea of taking themes from books and working it more into the play, for some reason I've not tended to link the two

    came over from the pin it party linky :) (intheplayroom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ozzy would love this! We have a pile of branches from a tree that was cut down in the garden yesterday and he took out his dinosaurs and made a 'Dino Land' - so this is right up his street!
    Thanks for joining in with the Parenting Pin-It Party, following you on Pinterest too (I'm http://pinterest.com/loveallblogs ) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some messy fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eww, love how gross it looks. Perfect for my boys!

    Thanks for linking up at Artsy Play Wednesday. Pinned to our group board. The new linky goes live at Midnight every Wednesday, hope you'll link up your new projects every week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lot of hand on learning fun was had!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this set up! I'll be featuring it on The Sunday Showcase this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like so much fun! My son loves ooey and gooey projects. What a fun book! I have pinned this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts or comments and will try to reply to any questions you have.