Monday 5 August 2013

Kandinsky for Kids: Exploring Kandinsky with craft foam

Did you know that when wet craft foam sticks to windows and bath tiles? Its a tip I picked up from reading this great blog. It's great to use to make pictures a kind of giant 'fuzzy felt' - without the fuzz. Both the Fairy and the Frog like to use it and will concentrate for a long time making creations.




We have previously explored Kandinsky (check out our posts here and here) and I thought some craft foam art might be a fun way to continue this exploration.

I showed the Fairy a pictures of Kandinsky's 'Farbstudie Quadrate' (circles) and then we talked about the shapes she could see in the picture. I then cut out lots of squares and circles. The Fairy then got to work making the picture (with a bit of help to get the squares straight). We chatted about which colours looked good together, she certainly knew what she thought there was lots of swapping of shapes just to check! She discovered if you put circles of the same size on top of each other you couldn't see the bottom circle, but if you put a smaller one on top you could.


When the Frog woke up from his nap he wanted to join in too - a fantastic family art lesson. Were arranged the shapes, talking about them as we did to make 'a person with curly hair'




Language Learning
Concepts: size, same/ different, place (on/under), shape and colour names
Other: expressing preferences ('I like the red circle when it's on pink', 'this one is better')
Vocabulary: stick (when using the water)

11 comments:

  1. This look like so much fun - and what a woonderful way to teach little ones about art too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Will definitely try it out. I have had a load of craft foam for ages and didn't know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that is a lovely art project. Love that you can "assemble" and dis-assemble it. Bet it was lots of fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's great for develop attention spans. You can also come back to it later. It's evolving art work.

      Delete
  4. Oh thank you - I need to get my son to do activities that are flat verticle (like up the window) to help strengthen his hands! This is ideal. Hope you don't mind but I'm going to pin it to my special needs board.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure share away. You can do it with any shape, to make pictures etc

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! I love everything about this activity! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, I'm going to pin this and try it out with my son. He has a very short attention span so something he can come back to is good.

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat project. I love that the kids can create over and over. Thanks for linking up to the After School Party.
    Kelly at Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh! I love it! What a wonderfully basic way to introduce Kandinsky to a toddler!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts or comments and will try to reply to any questions you have.